Breaking News

Sunday 5 April 2015

Old Man Traits and Why Relationships in Business Matter

My wife often tells me I interact with people “like an old man.” Normally, I laugh at her remark and then move on with my day. It wasn't until one particular encounter with an older, charming Sainsbury's cashier named Claire that I asked my wife about it more in depth.

Images used under creative commons. Photo by BerLin


“What do you mean I interact with people like “an old man?” I asked her.


She revealed I was overly friendly, I asked people about their day, and I made an effort to leave them with a smile.

Her statement got me to thinking. Why was my actions an “old man” trait? Why can't we of a younger generation look to leave people with a smile?

Often, in our interactions with the world, we focus on the sale. Whether its a job offer, a new client, or hocking whatever gizmo we're trying to market. We put all our effort in receiving something in return for a service. 

I reject that notion.

Instead, we need to focus on the relationship. We need to interact with people like an “old man.”

What's better than someone that buys something from us? Someone that believes in our cause, gives us repeat business, and then tells their friends all about us. What's better than someone offering us a job? Someone that believes in the same values we do, that sees something in us, and seeks to help us reach our goals.

How to we get these deeper connections? We stop focusing on what we're selling and focus on the people we're interacting with.

We learn about them, ask about their needs and desires, get to know their values, and find out what we have in common. We focus on the relationship way before we focus on the sale.

Keeping on our focus on people and relationships creates a bond. A bond that keeps giving far after the first sale has been made.


So next time you meet someone, don't just say hello and move one. Talk to them like an “old man.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Blogger Templates