Breaking News

Tuesday 14 April 2015

I Want to Hijack Growth Hacking or: How Relearning to Tie My Shoes Changed My Life



Relearning to tie my shoes changed my life.

The premise sounds ludicrous I know, but it happened. Unbeknownst to myself, I had been improperly tying my shoes wrong for 28 years. 28 years I spent my life living a lie. I guarantee most of you have been doing the same. Terry Moore sates your curiosity here, demonstrating the correct shoe tying method.

This was my first growth hack. From this simple change of habit, my life was launched in an entire new direction. I learned habits could be changed. I reconquered shoe tying. Therefore I could reconquer my existence.

What followed was a whirlwind of small habit changes. I learned a better way to brush my teeth. I learned a better way to shower. I learned a better way to communicate. I learned to be more connected with my work. I learned that learning was still possible and each change I made left me happier, more fulfilled, and living a better life. All thanks to relearning to tie my shoes.

I growth hacked my life.


What is growth hacking?

The newest buzzword on the block, growth hacking deals with increasing website traffic, consumers, and sales. It distances itself from traditional marketing by focusing on speed and quality.

I want to hijack the term.

I want marketing dropped from growth hacking's definition. I want growth hacking to be about self growth. I want business dropped from our mind. Our hacking should be focused on us.

Life hackers lament

Life hacking focuses on novelty. Tricks, shortcuts, or skills that increase efficiency. The majority of the life hacks out there today are almost silly little improvements to every day challenges. Life hackers don't focus on improving the self.

Computer hackers exist, Life hackers exist, what about self hackers? Those that look at human growth and want to make it easier, faster, and more efficient. Self development takes work and a lot of it. Changing habits takes weeks, months, sometimes years of constant reinforcement with the risk of failure rearing is ugly head at the most inopportune times. We struggle against the odds and for our effort we are rewarded with a surge of success and fulfillment.

There has to be a better way

I'm not advocating abandonment of sound principles on self growth. I'm advocating a way to “hack” our way to our better self. Growth hacks based on small changes and benefits that eventually will affect our entire lives.


Please join with me in taking growth hacking in a new direction. Let's stop Growth hacking business. Let's start Growth hacking ourselves.


- Article by James Greenway (@NerdCred on Twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Blogger Templates